Managed IT services experts in Orlando ask, "How often do you do IT security assessments in your company?"
Think about car maintenance for a moment. How often do you have the oil in your car changed? How about rotating the tires and tuning up the engine? You know that doing routine maintenance on your car is important for keeping it running and in good condition. The same thing applies to the security of your company's IT assets.
Security Is More Important than Ever
According to the Ponemon Institute, in 2017, 54% of businesses experienced one or more cyber attacks that compromised the company's data or IT infrastructure. And those are just the incidents that companies were willing to report.
This statistic shows how businesses are under increasing pressure from security threats, and it demonstrates why every company, big and small, must make cybersecurity one of their highest priorities.
According to managed IT services experts in Orlando, doing periodic security assessments is the answer. Doing periodic security assessments can:
- Demonstrate where security compromises potentially exist
- Keep your company up to speed on current threats
- Emphasize the need for vigilance on every employee's part
- Increase awareness of potential threats
- Identify priorities when it comes to security enhancements
- Show customers that you care about them and their confidential data
Considerations When Conducting a Security Assessment
Cybersecurity assessments need to touch every part of your company's IT infrastructure. That way, you can feel some level of security that your organization is protected. However, you have to consider some things, including:
- Potential paths for cyber attacks - What paths can cyber attackers use to infiltrate the company's IT assets?
- Software patching - Do all devices connected to company IT assets have proper software patches applied?
- Network security architecture - Is the network perimeter properly secured? Is there enough internal segmenting?
- User administration - What is the policy for adding, changing, and deleting users from the system?
- Password policy - How often are passwords changed and what are the password requirements?
- Encryption requirements - Are all data transmissions, internal and external, properly encrypted?
- Virus protection - How well is your current protection software working and is it being updated regularly on all devices?
- Security by role and access required - Are privileges divided by what accesses each employee requires? Is remote access restricted?
- Security staff - Is everyone responsible for security up to date on policies and threats?
- Physical security - Are there adequate physical barriers preventing free access to your company's IT assets?
- Regulatory requirements - Is your company meeting government and industry security requirements?
One way to ensure compliance with cybersecurity is to have an external auditor come in and do an assessment. Contact us at ION247 to set an appointment. We are the managed IT services provider in Orlando businesses trust.
June 6, 2018
All businesses always have to deal with clients’ confidential or personally identifiable information at some point. This means that the info can be hacked if you do not employ a good strategy for file sharing to safeguard the clients’ data. Luckily, managed IT services providers in Orlando can help you come up with the best strategy as entails file sharing.
May 23, 2018
One of the ways a managed IT services provider in Orlando can thwart hackers is to train clients how to avoid fraudulent websites and email phishing schemes. The more employees are educated on cybersecurity, the less chance you'll deal with an attack, as a high percentage of hacks relate to employee error. Here are ways employees can guard against clicking malicious links:
June 13, 2018
When it comes to security, digital protections are just as important as tangible protections like locks for doors and windows. The challenge is determining which digital safeguards are most appropriate for each unique business. It is not only cyber hackers that pose a threat but also user error, user ignorance and ever-evolving digital threats. After all, a user who makes an honest mistake has the potential to cause just as much damage as a malicious cyber hacker.
June 27, 2018
Today, you cannot talk about managed IT services in Birmingham and fail to mention cloud computing. However, you need to understand exactly what cloud computing is, its location, and benefits to your business. In simplest terms, cloud computing is the storage and access of any form of data, files, and programs over the internet as opposed to using a computer’s hard drive.
July 9, 2018
Most modern managed IT services providers in Orlando use remote monitoring and management (RMM) to protect and improve network systems. It's a strategy that ensures your infrastructure will be protected in an emergency and that you'll cut costs. Here are other advantages of outsourcing to IT firms that implement RMM principles:
May 15, 2018
Today, cloud computing is one of the most crucial managed IT services in Birmingham. Most businesses are now familiar with the cloud. Most of them have already started the migration, but some still fear that the transition could be a bit challenging. Of course, you may encounter certain challenges, but the benefits that come with cloud computing are worth the ordeal.